Sunday, June 28, 2009

Proof of recession all around...45 nt cab ride

Today, mom, dad and I were waiting for the bus to go to Zhuwei which was two mrt stops away from Danshui. Suddenly, a taxi pulled over and the cab driver glanced at us to see if we were interested in hopping in. I shook my head to let him know that we didn't need his service. Soon after, he stepped out of the car and came forward to offer us a ride to Taipei for a cheap 60 nt. Just so you know, the meter starts at 70 nt. He said he was on his way to Taipei anyway and that it was a waste to have an empty car. I told him that we were actually waiting for the bus and only going a few stops away. So then, he told us he would charge us the fare of a bus..at 15 nt per person..and before my parents could answer, I said..well, actually, my dad rides for free since he's got a senior pass now and I have a student card and so ...but then my parents looked at each other and decided to accept his offer and I was shocked that this was happening! As i got in, I told the taxi driver that if my parents were here, I'd probably run away if he approached me like that. But turns out, taxi drivers have been offering cheaper rides like this now all around town however, he told us not to tell.....Who am I going to tell? The taxi federation??

Anyway, the bus wouldn't have taken us to the front entrance of where we wanted to go and my mom actually felt bad that he had to go out of his way to drive us into some alleys and so she topped the 45 nt with 15 nt more dollars.

But at the end of the day, he was willing to drive us all the way into Taipei for 60 nt but instead, we took a 10 minutes cab ride for the same price. He was happy. He actually wanted to charge 30 nt only because I told him my dad would have ridden for free if we took the bus.

No comments:

Post a Comment