Thursday, February 4, 2010

Doc: " A Shark Made in Taiwan"

I just watched this documentary on Animal Planet about whale sharks and I was like...Whaaaaat Why is Taiwan the only country that has not yet banned whale shark fishing? These gentle giants that can feed a small village is an endangered species and so great to look at.

So then I became all sad that Taipei is the biggest consumer of whale shark meat but also thinking, why come I have not tasted this shark meat yet? Maybe I just can't read Chinese menus well.

I do some Google research and find out that the stupid documentary was filmed in 2004 and according to China Post, whale shark fishing has been banned since Summer 2008! Yay!

Whale sharks were captured and sold to aquariums around the world. They were filming one whale shark being captured and sent to an aquarium in Hualien. Sold for approx. 7500$USD .

"Finally, the whale shark has arrived. She will now enter her prison where she'll entertain guests by swimming in circles for dozens of years".


No comments:

Post a Comment